Tuesday, June 07, 2011

What If Your House Was On Fire?

Today, I saw that Kerry Scott of Clue Wagon had made a post called Your House Is On Fire. In her post, she wrote about a treasured family heirloom that was passed down to her as a wedding gift. She said that if she had time to grab only one thing in the house, if the house was on fire and the family was safe, this clock would be it. At the end of the post she asks: What do you grab? Why?

I've thought about this very topic many, many times. I couldn't even count on my hands how many times I've worried about this. While living at my old home, I stressed about knowing what I would take and being ready. But since moving into my apartment in December this past winter, I've been even more on edge about it. Just the fact that a single person burning a candle or smoking a cigarette, could destroy six homes in one building.. and very easily, at that. It's very scary and unnerving!

Since moving into my apartment, I've unpacked most of my things.. for the most part. Some things I have kept in their taped-shut cardboard boxes simply because I don't have the room for the stuff. It's much easier to store them in the few boxes in my closets. One such box is very valuable to me. This box contains ALL the old photographs I have ever owned, with the exception of 5 large oval portrait photographs in wooden frames (roughly 2 feet by 3 feet), which I safely have stored at my aunt's house fifteen minutes away from where I live now.

The first thing I would think of grabbing, is this box full of old photographs. The second thing, is my laptop and it's external hard drive. My life's work is stored on these two things.. If I lost them, everything I've ever worked on, would be lost. I should really consider an online storage website.. :-\

What would you grab, if your house was on fire?

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the link...and I am glad to know I am not the only one who spends too much time thinking about stuff like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nic,
    As someone who had her hard-drive crash a couple of months ago, I plead with you to get some storage in the "cloud". I have my pics saved in Picasa Web Albums -- not lost. Many of the things I cherish are "in the cloud". You don't want this to happen to you.

    ReplyDelete